Monday, May 2, 2011

Miss America to address eating disorders in Ill.

Miss America 2011 Teresa Scanlan will host the 8th annual candlelight vigil for eating disorders at the Healing Garden of Linden Oaks at Edward in Naperville May 16. The 18-year-old Scanlan, from Nebraska, was 17 when she was crowned. She is the youngest winner since the first pageant in 1921. She chose eating disorders as her platform issue after learning how widespread they are in the U.S. while doing research for a friend who had bulimia. Scanlan's goal is to educate people about the signs and risks of eating disorders and how to get help. Linden Oaks at Edward and the National Association for Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Eating Disorders will sponsor the event. The open event aims at motivating and encouraging recovery and providing family support.

I think this is a great idea. I am glad she picked eating disorders as her platform. I wish she would talk to my sponsor for the bill since Rep. Judy Biggert is from Ill. I wonder is she is attending the candlelight vigil. I wish I lived closer so that I could attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment